Other Mammals: Preserving Madagascar’s Unique Species
Flash Player Upgrade Required.
You must download and install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to view this content. Click here to download.
Coming up next in 10 seconds
© National Geographic
Preserving Madagascar’s Unique Species
National Geographic Emerging Explorer Dr. Luke Dollar, a biologist, has been returning to Madagascar for the past 17 years. Luke originally came to study lemurs, but after his study animal was eaten by the island’s top predator, the Fossa, Luke switched to studying these mysterious cat-like animals. Madagascar’s forests, the fossa’s habitat, have declined nearly 93%, with the remaining 7% under pressure from an expanding human population. Luke’s hope is to find a sustainable balance between the Malagasy people who depend on the forests, and the natural species that live there.